Saturday, December 20, 2008

Why Cambodia


Hi there,

Okay, I've not had all that much to say from my own perspective yet but let me try...

Have to say, so far, Cambodia is a kaleidoscope of contrast where although you know there are many patterns and colours to come when they are actually revealed there is a surprise, a BLAST of unexpected scenery or a moment with the people, a smell or snack (read a fried tarantula!) that catches your eye. Technically I don't fancy myself as a descriptive writer but I hope the images are starting to speak in volumes on all of our behalves.

There has been a point on this trip where I realised that I probably now know more about the history of the Cambodian (Khmer)  people than my own town, Victoria or Australia for that matter. When it comes to opening your eyes, the best place to start might be in your own neighborhood. My neighborhood, West Footscray, has challenges with graffiti, needles being left in playgrounds and public spaces, drunks, mentally ill people without support, a major freeway due to start construction, an overcrowded hospital, loads of refugees finding schools, more and more wealthy developers scooping up rundown miners cottages and converting them into double-storey subdivisions  squeezing every available airspace out of the blocks... okay, chill, I know! 

But, seriously it is a wonderful thing to visit. Visit the countries you wish, take sometime to checkout your own town. Whatever you do I'd say DO tour Cambodia with Eyes Wide Open . It is a typical south-east asia country with a couple of exceptions:

a. the people will melt your heart
b. it is rather easy here

We thought Cambodia would be challenging, remote, difficult or at least awkward but there goes the collision of colour and spirit that has made this a beautiful experience so far.

I have many pictures yet to come to show you. There is a limit on uploads to the blog unfortunately. We will share the album with you but be warned you might just be inspired to give it a go.

Speak soon,

Jim



No comments: