Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jorji - Personal Encounter

Being the first overseas trip I've been on except for a two-week band comp in NZ when I was in year 7, I expected to be completely overwhelmed.
However in that expectation I told myself to expect the unexpected, so now instead of being overwhelmed I'm overjoyed to have this amazing opportunity and experience the beatiful culture and ambience here in Cambodia.
After such long flights to get over here It's taken a while to fully realise where I am in the world, of course i'm not blind or ignorant but I think it's just surprising for me to finally be here, like I've gone from having hopes and dreams of life goals and I've just taken a giant leap towards them.
Being here on the Eyes Wide Open tour has done just that, and since being involved my eyes become wider every day.
Most of the time I'm in awe of my surroundings but I'm also constantly inspired.
For example, The Green Geko Project and the stilt village; At Green Geko there were so many of these young children that, even so early on in their lives, knew what it was like to have nothing while they were orphans living on the street - and yet when I interacted with them I saw how joyful and courageous they were even with the burdens they once, and still do, carry.
While at the stilt village I first saw the devastation but, because my eyes were open, I also saw the children playing happily on their way home from school, as well as the drive and determination of the village to survive.
That's what inspires me to move forward, to drive myself closer to my goals.

- Jorji

1 comment:

Emandee said...

Girl with dreams and the Abby chick, you bring tears to mothers' eyes.