Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Jorji Explains

This morning we woke bright and early to have breakfast before heading over to the war remnants museum.
When I first entered the building and saw the horrific photos of mutilated bodies lying in streets and the disfigured children that had been affected while in the womb from napalm blasts etc I was absolutely mortified.
The Viet Nam war isn't actually fully taught in Melbourne schools other than to depict Australia's brief involvement (well at least that's from my personal experience), so what I haven't read about of my own accord was right there in front of me.
The saying that a picture says a thousand words is completely appropriate.
I looked on at the photos in complete horror as the complete truth was finally revealed to me.
I probably would've stood there for hours, just contemplating the cruelty in the world and how man can stand to commit these terrible acts, if a school group hadn't asked to have their picture taken with me.
Just as they were asking me what Eyes Wide Open was, an officer came up to us and told them (rather aggressively) that they weren't allowed to talk to foreigners.
That shook me a little more than I had been from the effects of the museum, the fact that some of these kids simply aren't allowed to find out more about a person and what they stand for simply because they were born in another country...

No comments: