Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gift of Music


Hi Everyone,

First time blogger here - it seems these countries provide ample oportunities for new experiences!

I haven't tried my hand at this new fangled way of communication but I have been making notes in my trusty note book - but I decided I had to tell you all about the chance I had to donate the guitar I brought with me from Australia.

Before leaving Australia I had emailed my friends and family asking if they would be interested in donating some funds so that I could purchase a guitar, strings, music books etc to take with me to Cambodia. I thought it would be fun to sing a few songs with the children we were visiting and then eventually leave the guitar where it seemed most appropriate.

For those of you that know me are probably thinking what did those poor children do to suffer my guitar playing - harsh..... but fair! However it all went very well as the photos show (sound not included luckily). I was surprised that Christmas songs seemed the most popular - a rousing chorus of Jingle Bells was unexpected but great fun. I was starting to worry a little that I wasnt going to find a suitable place to dontate the guitar - as I wanted to give it to someone that understood the instrument and could change strings and tune it - otherwise it would just have been a waste.

As it turned out I need not have worried because when we visited the Sunrise Childrens Village one of the first things we saw was a guitar student and his teacher having a lesson with one guitar between them - problem solved. After we had a jam near the childrens play area - many Khmer folk songs ensued. I explained that I intended to leave the guitar with them and the music teacher was thrilled as it now gave him an oportunity to show his student chords without having to share the one guitar. I was really pleased that the idea has such a great outcome and I want to take this oportunity to thank everyone who donated some money to the guitar and to also let you know that I raised 100USD more that I needed for the instrument so I have donated 50USD to the Future Light Orphanage and will donate the other 50 USD at one of Vietnam projects where it is most needed.

Christmas is just around the corner and I can assure you that the gifts donated and the money donated have helped to brighten the world of some wonderful children. Whilst I'm thanking people I would just like to than Barry Dorr from Jo-Jo's publishing for the great Childrens books which have been enthusiastically received, Steve Berry for the great T-Shirts (featured in many of the shots) and finally to my great parents, Jen & Kev, for their financial support and also for the colorful recorders - which the kids just love.

One of my most humerous memories so far is seeing one of the boys from Green Gecko leaving on the back of a motorbike with one of his family, orange recorder in hand. So now we are off to discover Ho Chi Mhin City so I hope you are all enjoying the blog and our adventures. Have a wonderful Christmas - see you when we get back!!

Sue.

No comments: